Referees who are registered with SCRRS are able to enjoy the benefits of being members of the National Association of Sports Officials.
For more information, go to www.naso.org
NASO Members Benefits summary
- Members of the National Association of Sports Officials (NASO) enjoy a variety of benefits. Those benefits include insurance, educational and training materials, discounts and advocacy.
- NASO members get clear, concise information on rule changes and interpretations and the latest word on mechanics.
- NASO members get strong avocacy in support of legislation that protects them from assaults by fans, coaches and players.
- NASO members get the security of insurance that protects them against liability claims, medical costs associated with physical assaults, game call and assignor’s coverage, and optional game-fee protection.
Benefits list in detail
1) General Liability Insurance Protection
Provides up to $3 million per occurrence, with an overall policy aggregate of $4 million for claims for bodily injury, property damage and personal injury, sporting activities that are organized by recognized sports organizations, leagues and associations and while assigning, attending seminars, conferences, camps, clinics and similar meetings.
2) Member Information & Consultation Program (MICP)
When an issue related to your officiating is concerning you, NASO’s MICP program can help. The MICP has two parts: Free information program handled by the staff of NASO and a consultation program through which NASO can put a member in contact with a knowledgeable person for an initial free consultation. When you feel the need to sort out an officiating-related issue, clarify your options or get advice, the MICP program is there for you. Members can use the program three times per year.
3) $50,000 Assigner’s and Game Call Coverage
You’re covered for claims against you alleging officiating-related errors or omissions which result in a claimed financial loss, but where there is no bodily injury. This would cover a suit against an assigner by a disgruntled official or a challenged game call that resulted in a claimed financial loss. Policy limits include defense costs.
4) $10,000 Assault Protection Program
Up to $5,000 medical reimbursement if you are the victim of an officiating related assault. Plus up to $4,500 reimbursement of attorney’s fees for bringing a claim against the perpetrator. There is also $500 for loss of game fees.
5) Referee Magazine
Monthly members-only edition of Referee magazine covering officiating techniques, mechanics, personal development, industry news, rule changes and more. NASO members get 16 pages of useful, practical information in addition to the standard 72 pages of the magazine.
6) It’s Official Newsletter
Monthly 16-page newsletter providing association news, information, caseplays and educational product discounts.
7) NASO LockerRoom e-Newsletter
Monthly e-newsletter keeps you up-to-date on officiating techniques, news and more.
8) Annual Sport Quizzes
Online quizzes that will help you improve your knowledge of the rules.
9) Advocating on Critical Issues Impacting Sports Officiating
Through its media relations, NASO has been responsible for the promotion of positive awareness for sports officials. NASO’s legislative efforts have resulted in dozens of states passing assault legislation, limited-liability laws protecting sports officials and independent contractor legislation all designed to protect sports officials.
10) Discount to annual NASO Sports Officiating Summit
Money-saving discount on registration to sports officiating’s most important annual event.
11) Major Buying Discounts
NASO membership also provides excSpecial members-only buying discounts on Referee and NASO publications with savings up to 20%.
12) Savings on Personal Services
Special member savings on auto rental, hotel and other services you use for your officiating activities.
13) Relocation Referral Services
When you move to a new area, NASO will put you in touch with officiating leaders to keep your officiating career on track.
14) Personalized Membership Card
15) Marriott Athletic VIP card
Members receive a sport rate of up to 40% off the regular room rate at participating hotels where space is available.