SCYR Sportsmanship PolicyPosted by SCRRS Website Committee on December 20th, 2011
The Southern California Youth Rugby (SCYR) Sportsmanship Policy comes into effect at halftime, or any other time thereafter, when the difference in points becomes 40 or more, by notice to the referee and other coach by either the winning or the losing coach.
- If it is within 10 minutes of fulltime the losing coach can refuse it (U16 & U19, HS & JV) or 5 minutes from fulltime (all other ages).
- If Sportsmanship rule is invoked, coaches of the winning team should remove star players and field second string players. Coaches may also consider possible player swaps.
- If there are less players on field for the losing team, players shall be brought on to replace sent off players or players removed from winning team (or given by winning team) if none is available on losing team bench. All benches shall be emptied, and substitutes can come from players not originally named on a limited number roster.
- Once invoked the winning team is recorded as 5 point winner. Losing team can only record 1 point bonus for 4 tries. The score at this point becomes the recorded score.
- Scrums and lineouts become uncontested if there is significant disparity between the teams. [This is to try to even out possession]
- After any score, free kick is taken at halfway by losing team (instead of kick to 10 meter line by scored upon team). 22 dropouts become free kicks on 22. [These are to try to even out possession]
The criteria for tie breakers using points differential shall be capped at 40, so there is no reason to score more than 40 points over an opponent.